Newspaper Article

Considering Chief's unusually strong rendering capabilities, and that most architects and designers in this country don't push rendering as a marketing tool, I sense that the local paper here in Indianapolis and in many cities would jump at the chance to profile a designer who provides high quality renderings as standard practice during the conceptual phase.

I intend to submit a piece that would point the reporter, probably someone from the Home or Living section, in my direction. Having encountered no designers in this city who do what I do, it seems that it would be of interest to the paper.

This post is intended to prompt suggestions on how to approach the piece. Most business-savvy owners use the press to garner free publicity, as I did in my previous business. It works wonders. It would be nice to get some input from those of you who already have gotten publicity in your design business.

I'd posted this in the Chatroom, but realized it is Chief-related and perhaps belongs here.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Great idea!

This is a great idea, and I have thought about it too.

Maybe for a start send some of your renderings to the reporter along with the finished project pictures. Include a little article about how satisfied your customer's are when they can visualize exactly what the finished product will be. You can't get this kind of detail from a pencil and paper (at least I can't).

Before and after pics are awesome. I show my customer's these all the time. It really provides a strong reference for them, and confidence in my services.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

I realize this is a technical users' forum, but c'mon, we can't be caught up solely in the design aspects of the program. What about marketing? Some here have had run ins with the press. Perhaps I haven't been sufficiently supplicant in requesting guidance.

Since we have users from all over the world in non-competing geographical areas, it would be prudent and non-threatening to promote the unique capabilities of our businesses.
    Last edited by alobartn; 06-23-2005 at 05:52 AM.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

It seems that only the builder's mags would be interested in us. If I ever get into the local Chronicle ("the comical") I'll let you know.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

Katy is writing an article for the Houston Chronicle right now.

Jason,

I beg to differ. As Lew pointed out, the Washington Post thought enough to feature home planning software, specifically Chief. I think the concept can be further developed into something that would really draw clients, including builders, to designers who provide great ideas in 3D.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Louis,

What's the gist of Katy's article?
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Adam,

She is writing about the benefits of 3D design. She is trying to educate the public that 3D design is available and is a useful tool. We find that most people are not aware that they have the option of 3D design. The clients who are aware often are requesting it. I just did a model for an Architect that offers no 3D design at all. But his client asked for it because they knew it was an option.
    Last edited by louis; 06-23-2005 at 07:08 AM.

I would love to see what she's written!
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6