Road following terrain

I have a site with multiple building on it with a road running through the center. Is it possible to have the road follow the terrain. The site has an elevation change of over 20 feet. Also is there an easy way of setting the building pad elevations seeing that they are all different, or do i have to change floor elevations in all the units.

Kheyda,

Yes, your road may follow the terrain. Just go to Build>Terrain>FeatureLines then draw the plan of your road and set how high you'd like the road to lie above the terrain. The road will then follow the terrain. I just did a rather complex terrain with a long, curved driveway and it looked great.

Ted Swarts

But what if you want the road to lie slightly below the rest of the terrain as with most roads it is lower not higher than the surrounding terrain.

You need to model your terrain to sink down and take the road terrain feature. ie, you build your tearrain just below road level and then place your road on top of the terrain - exactly as you would build it.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

I like to model my terrain to the earth,

I then add a terrain feature for the turf that covers the entire terrain.

For driveways and walks, add these terrain features and use the terrain clipping feature to clip the turf feature.

This shows the use of the clipping feature to make retaining walls. The initials on the right use the clipping feature as well.

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    So thats what "clip terrain" means - I never quite worked it out.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Kheyda,

I don't believe anyone confirmed your question about each buildings "Finished floor" level. I have always worked with engineers who supplied me with the postulated Floor level for each building in a multi-building project along with "before and after" intended topo data.

From this data I set the buildings in the 3-D site plan. Then I conform the topo and its features to the buildings. It is rare that a proposed topo plan perfectly fits the finished buildings without some adjusting.

HTH

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!