Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceiling Joists

Dennis,

Thanks, and a clarification. I thought you were beating yourself up for Reacting, and even when there is a way to accomplish the task, I don't think it's over-reacting to agree with wanting it to not require all that brain work. There are some very common elements in residential construction that I don't think should require us to "think a little more before posting an answer"!

It's all good. I was neither offended nor intending my post as a criticism. In my humble opinion, if we need one of the Gurus, like Tim, to tell us how to do it, maybe the feature needs work.

Wendy

Something like this???
    Attached Files Attached Files

I tried to post the picture, but I don't know how????

It tells me is too big, I'll figure it out one day,
    Here are the steps.

build your roof framing
    even if you have already built ceiling framing, go to build from the file menu, joist, then draw one joist next to the rafters or ceiling joists. select it open it and change the layer to display, I think is 1 for roof framing so it shows in roof framing and not in joists.
    set its height so its above where you want it, you can also do this in elevation view. once set in place select the polyline solids tool, draw one below your tie, set its height "manually", trim the edges (you can put it over your joist to set its size and later delete the joist) Ok! go back to plan view and make sure its in place, select multiple copy and set it to 24 o.c. or whatever you are using, copy it, and there it is!!

Bitmap images are the biggest, which is what your image is.

Open it in any photo editing software and do a SaveAs to a jpeg or jpg format.

If you use Adobe Photoshop there's also a choice to Save for Web, which makes an even smaller file. Other photo software may have something similar.

If it still yells at you, find the setting for Image Size and make it smaller, either by making the dpi smaller (72 is usually good enough) or making the size of the picture itself smaller.

Wendy

Thanks for the input on the pictrures!!!
    I have adobe photo shop I'll try it next time.

You need to make sure the file size is less the 100KB to attach a file to a post directly. If you need to post something that is larger, you can always post it to some other web site and then attach a link to the file in your post.

You don't need photoshop to create smaller pictures generated by Chief. When exporting a picture, the default will be to make a bmp file which is uncompressed. You can also export pictures as either JPG or PNG files which have pretty good compression. Just type in the extension when using the export picture tool to change it, such as mypicture.jpg, or select the file type you want from the drop down list.

In general, I have found exporting a full size view from Chief will be larger then the 100KB limit. You can make your window size less then full screen to get your images smaller then the 100KB limit.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Test picture!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've added purlins to this one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xacto,

Thanks for reply. You must have version 10. As Cliff informed me earlier in this thread, version 10 exclusively ( I have 9.54 ) has the ability to show p-line solids in 3-D.

Dan

Nope!
    I'm using V.9.54

I (and Cliff) stand corrected.

I tried again and got the solid to show in framing this time. Don't know why it didn't show when I originally tried it.

Thanks,

Dan

Sorry Dan, When you said P-Line Solids wouldn't show in V9.54 Framing View, I wasn't thinking. It's been about 6 months since I've used the older version and actually can't remember what it did and did not do. But I did know they showed in V10, however, I still recommend you give V10 a try. Thanks

Cliff