Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceiling Joists

Ceiling Joists

I'm trying to show the framing in a vaulted ceiling the way I do it.

Chief seems to want to do it a little differently......

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Coffcons; 06-16-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Dan

It adds bridging to the joist ends.

I would like to sister the joists to the rafters and clip the tops at the roof line. I can't edit the joist in that way and p-line solids don't show in framing view.
    Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan

Dan

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, however if you upgrade to V10, the p-line solids will be able to show in the framing view.

Cliff

Make a section, change "view to CAD" and modify in CAD. Simple.

Ken Lynch

It's pretty easy to use sofits

Make the the size you want and then click on the option put under roof. Ply texture and you have it. Frank Greer

Thanks all,

Frank, I don't see that option.... I have 9.54..... maybe a version 10 thing.

Ken, Thanks, I knew I could change it in Detail, but wanted to know if I could change them in Perspective.

Cliff, Thanks, I've been dragging my feet in upgrading... especially when I see all the problems people are having with it. There does seem to be some benefit, though and I can see that P-solids showing in Framing would be one for sure.

Dan

I have 9.54

It's in there, just click on a sofit, when the box opens click on options and it says angle sofit or place under roof in which case it does. Frank

If that first pitcure is the way it comes out in CA, Look at the roof framing over view and deleete the cieling joist rim beam at the rafter line.(not sure what to realy call it)You wont get the angle but they wont stick by.Take elevation view from other side,rafter will cover joist end.
    Allen C.

Dan,

There was just a suggestion in the Suggestions forum to add collar ties to the roof dbx. Maybe you could hop on over there and elaborate. What you're trying to do is related and I kinda sorta think we shouldn't have to resort to soffits and polyline solids to do common framing.

Wendy

I 2nd Wendy's comments.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

you can use a truss...

build the roof to set the wall hts, then change the ceiling ht to the ht you want

set the web span(framing dbx>truss tab) to a high value to eliminate the webs if you don't want them
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Tim,

Is there something special in the water in Minnesota?
    You really show us that we should not "react" to posts but think a little before we post our replies. Sometimes I learn slow but I do learn......

Thanks for the insight.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Tim,

I tried your suggestion and I should have realized sooner that the truss’s bottom cord is in line with the top cord (as it should be). I was trying to show the ceiling joist sistered to the rafter and of course clipped at the roof line. Nice bit of lateral thinking there though I must say, Tim. We need your innovative and sometimes common sense work-arounds here on this forum.

Thanks, Wendy, I'll check out that Suggestion forum. Good idea.

Dan

Tim,

It's always great to hear about the best way to get something done.

Dennis,

I don't think it's reacting to wish something were easier and required less hoop-jumping. Tim's method works, but I still believe it would be useful if this particular maneuvre were made more straightforward in the next release.

Wendy

Wendy,

The "reacting" statement was not directed at you but to those answering posts, myself included, without necessarily think a little more before posting an answer. I also agree with you about having the collar ties as a more accessible option and being represented more realistically.

Cheers,
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5