Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wendy
    It depends on the inspector alot.One I deal with alot says "Stairs are stairs,they have the same codes(attic)"She said ok without landing at the bottom.A taller door works good there but head room is,nt that bad with a 6'8 door.
    Building inspectors have thier oun quirks they look for.I've seen things that were structural not sound pass and they complain about fire blocking.
    With a 10 pitch it's foolish not to have attic stair I think,easier for me than climbing a latter to build the roof.
    What did people do before coffee?Lived in caves..
    Allen C.

Allen,

You are absolutely correct about the quirks of inspectors.

Keep in mind that getting a stair that doesn't meet code past the Code Officer won't help you later if someone falls on those stairs. Both you and the Code Officer could get sued, and they would have an excellent case against you.

Wendy

Wendy
    Your fast,I was looking at replys on page 2(go to first unread,went to far ahead). And you replyed.Doors should never swing into stair wells,if someone opens it and thinks it's a room ,they'll fall down.
    Allen C.

Originally posted by WendyWelton
    Keep in mind that getting a stair that doesn't meet code past the Code Officer won't help you later if someone falls on those stairs. Both you and the Code Officer could get sued, and they would have an excellent case against you.
    Right on! It is amazing to me how many people in the residential building arena "here", where the code is new, don't understand that.

Stairs and everything else too. Main entrance doors, lateral loading, you name it. I've had a hard time getting that across to builders here - it doesn't matter what the inspector looks at, the responsibility is to comply with the full set of applicable code rules whether they check for that detail or not.

Fitch