Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Show nail patterns?

One more question and I'll leave you alone today I promise

I need to show the nailing pattern on my plywood (6 in the field and 9 on the perimeters).
    I found a post here suggesting to make changes to a .dat file in Chief to alter the Line Types, but after guessing for quite a while using the dotted line (need to restart CA every time I change it) I gave up. And besides the point I couldn't get rid of the initial and ending dash (the 'A' in the file) which really made it look screwy anyway...

I wouldn't mind if I could just dot it manually but I don't think there's a tool available in the toolbar to allow this.

Just a thought,even though not a good one,can you use the period in Text for a dot, adjust the size and use the multiple copy tool set to the desired spacing?

Cliff

Ah, I didn't think of that
    I'm gonna try it...

Thank you Cliff

You may want to use a small CAD circle with or without fill and do as Cliff suggests.

Sam

Much better idea. Thanks Sam

Cliff

Re: Show nail patterns?

Originally posted by imagreen

I need to show the nailing pattern on my plywood (6 in the field and 9 on the perimeters).
    Um, I know you didn't ask for any technical advice, but you might want to double-check this nailing pattern. Usually edges get nailed more closely than the field.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Sam I'll try that thanks... The period method was a good idea except it cut my lines when I placed them too close to the edges of my drawing.

To Richard.. Good catch, dyslexic moment I guess

You can set the text to have "no fill" or transparent. Then your lines will show through.

Barb

Re: Show nail patterns?

I'm not sure why you want to show it in a picture. I specify it with a note that says 6" max (or what ever is required for the shear load) on the edges, 12" max in the field, as well as the nail size, type (ring tongue, etc.) and wheather or not it has to be HDG (for treated wood).

Shear panels that require a different nailing schedule, or double sided ones, get a different note.

Fitch

It took a bit of time but I got what I wanted, thanks folks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't forget that you can block the nails together so that you can place them all at once.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

imagreen
    This is just a note but do you really need to "show" a pattern versus a note like I and Fitch use which clarifys the installation pattern? The only reason I ask is it seems we sometimes beat ourselves up showing some details versus the art of producing working design drawings?

By the way, just so you can really get it right , some codes specify that within certain distances of the corners, and at certain distances between for the length of the wall, here it's 25' between fully nailed panels, you need to add in between horizontal blocking for any sheet where the panels butt together! In other words your detail at the corner would show the nailing pattern into the added blocking! This is one of those details or views that can very easily get carried away; it's not a comment of your ability to show the nailing pattern. In my case, although I use mostly ICFs, I would if I took the time only use the nailing pattern as a detail on a generic Detail Sheet and copy it from plan to plan, or from the library.
    Take Care

Jim

Hi Jim,

I know what your saying about 'why show the image?'...
    My reason is that I want to create something for the absolute noob to blueprint reading. What I'm producing will probably be a very boring read to any pro builder, but maybe helpful to someone who was just recently introduced to the wonderful world of smashed thumbs and sawdust in the eyes.
    I just didn't want to assume anything or take anything for granted I guess...

I just didn't want to assume anything or take anything for granted I guess...
    One problem with duplicating information in a drawing that is already covered in a note is that you run risk of being wrong in one place or the other, and ending up with a conflict between the two, and potentially increased liability for yourself.

What happens when the building inspector shows up and points out that the top & bottom plates (or perimeter) were not nailed with the noted edge nailing, and the contractor says "hey, I just followed the nailing diagram! (which currently doesn't illustrate the perimeter nailing)" Will he then charge an extra to go back and nail per the note? Or if you use a blocked diaphragm, then your illustrated nailing pattern will be wrong, too.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Sorry, I didn't mention this is a tool shed.
    Heh, probably won't even need a permit in most areas (not in my area anyway).

But if I were to design something which did require inspections (not in the near future) I would probably do it differently and consider the points you mention.