DXF-I lose Info?

Hello, When I save CA-7 as a DXF file,
    open it in AutoCAD-14, add text, save as
    DXF, open in CA-7 I lose all of my 3-D work!
    Please tell me I'm doing something wrong!

Hello Backagain,
    Chief (since V4 atleast) will export 2D and 3D BUT it will not import 3D. Import 2D yes, 3D no.
    It has never claimed other wise and what you try to do, most users have been asking for a long time and if you keep your fingers crossed and send a lot of donuts to Dermot, might just happen.
    Regards, Jan

------------------

Thanks, But, what I'm trying to do is work in
    3D using CA-7 and then go to AutoCAD-14 to
    input text, go back to CA-7 (using dfx files)
    . My text, using r14, is not there.

I hope I'm doing something wrong. I think CA-7 is an excellent 3D program and that AutoCAD is an excellent 2D program. Can I use them both?

Make sure that the text that you are using in Autocad is a TTF. Chief will only support this. For example it will not accept a SHX font.I hope I am on the right track on this issue.
    Dave

Hello, Thanks for the reply

I'm using .shx fonts. Is the only way for chief to use other "CAD" fonts is the user to use True Type Fonts? I am using a basic .shx font in Autocad.

Is it possible to use Chief as a 3D program, save it as DXF file, use Autocad as the 2D program for text and notes and back and fourth we go?

Thanks again.

Backagain,

Yes you can do this, but why fight the system?

Chief should do all the text and notation in any type of view that you want.

What Dave was telling you is that the .shx fonts are not compatible with Chief. If you can use TTF fonts in ACAD then you will get your text when you import the 2D view into Chief.

Make sure you export a 2D view from ACAD.

A 3D view from ANY CAD program will NOT import into any current version Chief.

------------------
    Dean Johnson
    Laurel, Montana

Backagain,
    I import many ACAD14 drawings into a Chief CAD detail and have not had any trouble with the font issue you describe. Of course Chief converts the font to the standard text font I have set for Chief. I don't think the shx font is the cause of the problem you are having although I don't have any suggestions without having the file to check it by.

Max Humphreys

Thanks guys,

Hummmm, .shx not compatible uh. Well, I always liked True Type Fonts anyway.

I hope what I want to do with Chief and Autocad works, which is to use one for 3D work and the other for 2D work then exchange the information between the two.

Thanks again.

Hey Max

You're right. you know, I can use .shx fonts in Autocad and import them into Chief, no problem. However, what I'm trying to do is to create my 3D model in chief, export to Autocad, to do my text(w/arrows), attributes and notes, then export to chief. I lose my 3D plan. Are they compatible in this way?

Thanks, _BackAgain

Backagain,
    No. But.... you can save the 3D model view as a 2D dxf file which will allow you to do exactly as you want, the only difference being you must set the view desired before exporting which isn't really any big deal. Try that.

Max