Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding....again. I don't do inaccurate designs. I simply do the best I can to design to avoid having to use sixteenths.

I set CA to 16ths, and then try to design them out. I'm way too obsessive to allow CA to round off for me, if that's what the eigths thingie does. I also have the luxury of working with a very capable group of local builders. If I put in 32ths they'd try to do it. Lucky me.

I only believe in tolerance wrt human relations.
    Desert Dog Designs
    Twisp, WA
    jlaskey@methow.com

b

As mentioned by others...i use 1/16" accuracy, but rarely have a 1/16" actually labeled on the plan (which is most likely the case with everyone that uses 1/16" accuracy). If I do, it is because the wall needs moved. I typically don't have fractions such as 1/8", unless dealing with lots of angles and curves. If the framer wants to adjust, that is his perogative. I've rarely had a framer complain about fractions (again because I typically don't have any). If I do, it gives him (or her ) the choice to be 1/8", or to adjust and which direction suits best for the situation and the way he snapped it out.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Perhaps I should have made clear when posting that soffit plan that it was a response to someone stating there is no need for 16ths. Obviously with angles and radii there often is no choice.

However, whenever possible I prefer not go beyond 1/2 inches. I was a contractor for a long time. The only person I saw paying attention to anything beyond 1/4s were trim carpenters and a great lead framer.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

...whenever possible I prefer not go beyond 1/2 inches.
    Me too. Depends on which side of the stud Chief decides to dimension to.

...and <--EQ|EQ--> = Quarters

OK, I'll give it a rest.

Sam
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 05-12-2005 at 02:05 PM.

GEEZ, I've created a monster!

I stay a couple days away from this thread and WOW a flurry.

Perhaps if CA offered rounding anywhere from 1/128" to 1' on various user saved "dimension styles", each that could be named whatever we want to call it (1/16, details, plan, BOB, 1 line short of 3 of those medium lengthed lines) then this wouldn't have to be discussed at all. Styles that can be swapped within the same drawing without causing previously placed dimensions to change its style. These dimension styles could be exported and imported between drawings, allow you to use ticks for some and arrows for others, decimal inches instead of fractions, text instead of or along with really or altered dimension...

Flexiblity, flexibilty, flexabiltee!
    (Spelling just for you TIm ).

Dave

Cabinets

I sometimes work with a cabinet maker who claims to be able to cut wood to 1/128ths for his fine cabinet work. I design to even numbers as much as is possible, but sometimes the space we have to put the cabinets into is not perfect and out of square. We usually measure to 1/16th on the plans. His cabinets always fit perfect and often you cannot see lines on wood he joins or at mated surfaces.

On house plans I often use 1/8" increments on height because engineered wood products use those specifications. Take 1 1/8" plywood subfloring for instance. People who get upset over fractional measurements have too much time on their hands and should just get over it and complain about something that is important.

Mike
    Michael Bailey
    Bailey's CAD Services
    Ferndale, CA
    707-407-7660
    bcs-office@baileyhouses.com

SOFTWARE:
    XP Pro, CA V10 - X2

HARDWARE:
    ASUS A8N-SLI 64BIT AMD DualCore
    Athlon X2 4400+ 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR400 RAM,
    XFX GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB Dual DVI Video
    DesignJet 500 & 130nr Plotters

by golly I love the metric system

I have never seen the "EQ" notation on dimensions before. It sounds useful but I am having trouble picturing it.

Would some kind soul please post an example pic?

In remodels I get as accurate as I possibly can to 1/16. In new construction I can make things whatever I want and so make sure the exterior dimensions are all round numbers but I keep the 1/16 for interiors and angles.

I live/work with a cabinet maker who would be appalled if I used anything less accurate than 1/16. The builders I work with like the accuracy and I make it clear to them that I understand that the real world will be different than what I drew.

- Rachel

EQ is short for Equal. It's a quick way to communicate equal spacing or centering.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you kind soul.

Would you include numbered dimensions too on the exterior or just the window sizes?

I use this the most often in renovation work, in which case this might be the only dimension given for these windows. For new construction, the guys build the exterior walls and frame the windows before they build the interior walls, so they really need the windows dimensioned on a string on the outside. I try to walk through the build in my mind and dimension according to what they need to know, and when they need to know it.

W

Ah,

That makes a lot of sense. Now I get it.
    Thanks Wendy!

-Rachel