Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Dimensioning to 1/8" Accuracy?

I am curious if I am in the minority when I do not use the 1/8" accuracy option for dimensioning?

I do not like the way CA has set up the 1/8" accuracy settings to "drop" the lower half of the fractions. (ie 1/8" = 1, 1/4" = 2, 3/4" = 6). This concerns me as I feel that at a quick glance a "3" might be read as 3 inches and not 3/8 inches.

So now I must use the even less forgiving 1/16" accuracy setting and be forced to see and fight with wonderfull dimensions like 15/16" or 9/16" . If these aren't fixed before going out for permit it can be imbarrassing and a pain. I can't here the builder in the field... "what the %@#*^& is the architect trying to do to me? 1/8" are bad enough!".

Dave

How could accurately dimensioned plans be embarrassing??? As a builder I have no trouble with 1/16" acccuracies, I would much rather see that than made up dimensions that do not total correctly...then you might very well hear somebody when mechanicals or structural don't align because they measured from the opposite side as the madeup dimensions were laid out...now that would be

set up your grid snap to a level of accuracy you want...then use it...but if you use real world dimensions and sizes...a half of an eighth..might just show up somewhere

Arghh! Tim, you make me laugh!

On another note, will you make it this year to the User's Group?
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Tim,

Thanks for the reply and especially the spelling corrections.

Dave

Perhaps my main point of starting this thread was not clearly stated as I rambled on afterwards.

1) Are YOU using the 1/8” accuracy setting? (YES/NO)

2) If not is it due to:
    a) its automatic dropping of lower half of the fraction
    b) the precision of 1/16” is generally more preferred
    c) other __________________________________.

b)
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

B - as I use the Disto Plus which measures to 1/16"

On as-built houses I will "tolerate" a few "errors", up to 2", but prefer most of the dimensions to be within 1/2".

It would be nice to be dead-on but with old houses having settled and non-square rooms etc there will be some discrepancies.
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

david, I also use the 1/16" increment, but I also take the time to remove any 1/16" measurements, because as you said, the contractor does not like it..This philosophy usually goes away on a few dimensions if the plan has any angles to it..

B

To me the fact that Chief shows me 1/16" means that I need to adjust the model so that dimension strings do add up correctly.
    Tim Schrock
    Design Build Solutions, LLC.

I enjoy working in Chief Architect. Made the switch to X5 and am enjoying the upgrades. Home-brewed computer...things are running swell!

I use 1/16 but rarely have more than just a few dimensions with 1/4 in them. You can still have nice round dimensions if you use direct entry, which is way the manual says to work. I have a designer client and her dimensions are as you described. It makes me nuts that I can't get her to use direct entry because I have to tighten them up.

You can have 1/16 accuracy and use say 1” snap intervals for walls and openings without getting messed up. What can get you messed up is if you turn off 1/16 and use a small snap, unrestricted snap, or precise click/drag move at the same time. In this case, you would be drawing at the very small increments and your dimensions would be liars. This can really get you messed up!

1/8 increments are useless due to the truncation.

Sam
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 05-11-2005 at 08:10 AM.

Originally posted by spencerdesign
    ...1/8 increments are useless due to the truncation.

Sam
    This point is largely what I am trying to get at. WHY THE CHANGE IN CONVENTION! DOES ANYONE USE THIS SYSTEM THAT DROPS THE LOWER HALF OF THE FRACTION OFF?

Dave

B, the only one that works for me

a

B