Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: beam chek

Wendy:

The latest version of BeamChek lets you keep a standard default set of values for engineered lumber, so if you mostly use Parallams, say, you only have to enter the values once.

You might be happier with MaxBeam (www.archforms.com) It is a sophisticated Excel spreadsheet, but I don't think has the macro issues. It will size footings, as well as posts and connection hardware, and give them all to you in a schedule. It has most of the major engineered lumber mfrs., too. One nice feature is that if you're doing a transfer beam, you can reference a point load from another member, so if the loads change on one, it will automatically change on the other. I know the architect who developed this and, like Al Cohen of Beamchek, is a very sharp guy as well as being incredibly helpful!
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Richard,

Thanks, I'll check it out. I like the sounds of it keeping track of transfer loads!

Wendy

Originally posted by WendyWelton
    Bill and friends,

ConstructionCalc does not have all the LVL's I need. It only has 2.0 glulams. Not good.

StruCalc is a little less user friendly interface, but appears to be much more complete than either ConstructionCalc or Beamcheck. I've never liked it that Beamcheck makes you enter the values for LVLs yourself.
    Wendy
    If you don't have them already, I'd highly recommend that you get TJ-Beam and BC-Calc. They are free, and far better than StrucCalc for engineered wood products or solid sawn lumber. I have and use both, although TJ-Beam the most because the builder I draw for uses 99% Trus-Joist material. Both Boise and Weherhauser are support their programs and maintain close watch on how they work. If a problem is spotted they will e-mail you right away to let you know.

I also use StrucCalc but mostly for columns and steel beams - the other two are a bunch better for engineered lumber and come with all the right material properties data already entered in them.

Since we have the 2003 IRC/IBC the load calculator you mentioned probably isn't appropriate for me. I've been basing all my loads on ASCE7-02. Archon SW has a nice snow load program for $40.00. They also have ArchWIND98 which I like, but I use Wind02 (I think that is the name of it) which is EXCEL spreadsheet based because it is more current.

I've gotten into the habit of printing all the analysis stuff using PSFfactory-Pro so I can save it all as one big PDF document in the file with the PDF copy of the construction drawings. It makes a handy design report if anyone has questions.

Fitch

WARNING FOLKS
    last friday, this forum and a few other builder related sites I went to. and in this thread I looked at all the "suggestions"
    someplace in my travels, again might not be here, I picked up a nasty bug
    nasty one
    so remember to watch our virus updates and your firewalls

I know its an older thread
    just turned in a set of plans
    Inspector asked, why I dont use StrucCalc ( I use Beam Check)

however his comment was a lttle stange, he said
    If you were using struc calc we wouldnt question your numbers, seems your the only one in town not using it

I said , is there a problem,
    he said no, we just dont know the program so we have to look at it harder

just food for thought

Originally posted by Niuoka
    seems your the only one in town not using it
    Probably everyone in town is using it because the StruCalc company is just about in your town. (Corvallis, OR)
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

I use the TJBeam program for all Trus Joist products, plus it allows you to size glulams and solid sawn lumber, although minus a couple of functions. I like it because is allows many multiple spans, uniform loads, triangular loads and point loads. It will even suggest the right Simpson or USB hanger for your application. It does columns as well. So far, unless I'm doing steel, it's been adequate for everything I do, and the building department accepts the printouts with the drawings. I go to my engineer for anything unusual or exceptionally complex, and for lateral loads that don't fit prescriptive. TJBeam has no lateral capabilities. And it's free, updated frequently, and well supported by TJ staff.

If and when I spring for anything else, it will probably be StrucCalc - I know a lot of people who use it, including some of the local building depts. - and it sound like a very thorough program. I've looked at other programs, including a very early version of StrucCalc, and they didn't have the flexibility of the TJBeam program, but apparently that has changed.

In terms of recommended references, you are right on with the Western Woods Use Book and other WWPA publications, and while Ambrose's "Simplified Engineering..." is considered the standard, I don't find it very simple at all. My best resource is my friendly neighborhood engineer who is happy to answer all my questions about how and why things are done, and will explain it in terms I can comprehend.

Viki

"Simplified Engineering..." ... I don't find it very simple at all.
    That's because for an engineer to actually voluntarily simplify something is practically an oxymoron.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

actually, yes Corvallis is correct,
    stucalc is by the engineer I use, Petris Bambe'
    he is a believer of simplicity, an honest person
    while his program might not be, he tries to be in life and in practice
    as an engineer he is the most reasonable one in town for price, and his work is of high quality that is rarely rarley questioned
    and his engineering and drawings are practical , not gross over kill trying to cover his butt in case of Armagedon and there are still a few lawyers left looking at remains of buildings

however, hope you dont mind Pete, I went beam check for its easy to use system and acurate information, and I had trouble working with the free strucalc trial download
    now that I have a better understanding of loads and specs, my next one will probabally be strucalc

HANDY BEAM DESIGN GUIDE

Some earlier posts were asking about a handy beam design guide that teaches the basics of load calculations, lvl, glulams, beam sizing, etc. There's a technote from Builders Websource that's very handy. They waive the normal fee if you click the link and provide your contact info and email address. Check out: http://www.builderswebsource.com/sof...e.beamchek.htm

The document is in PDF so you'll need Adobe Acrobat reader (free version).

Greg.
    Last edited by glowitz; 11-03-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Greg - Thanks I went to the site. It is loaded with lots of info. - Tom
    Tom Hinz
    Blue Lake, California
    tlhinz@gmail.com

For wood products, it depends on the supplier in your area.
    Each manufacturer has slightly different specs, usually not much to worry about, unless you are pushing the envelope
    structurally.

Georgia Pacific has a program- Free- called FAST BEAM. available from them through your lumber yard rep on request. Or call 770.221.8902 that's GP in Atlanta.
    Deals with all truss joists, LVL, glue lam, parralam

LP also has a FREE program for LVL's of all their available sizes and widths (single: 1.75", double: 3.5", triple: 5.25"). It prints out a certification spec sheet for a specific LVL beam.

If you know how to calculate the loads, it is a great FREE tool.

(Note: I am not at my main PC. So, I do not have a link handy. If you want a link, let me know. I will post it if needed.)

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

RoyW is offline New to v10 Old in general
    Try this address
    http://www.trusjoist.com/EngSite/sof...ategory2ID=172

to those of you already using this free software-upgrade less than a month ago- no idea of differences/improvements- tried to get it 2 months ago and was told I had to wait for newer version

With regard to the whole idea of Structural Design Concepts - there is a free 434 page HUD publication, "Residential Structural Design Guide" available at:

http://www.huduser.org/Publications/pdf/residential.pdf

that has some good stuff in it. Chapter 2 is a good basic introduction.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.