Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: beam chek

I've used Beamchek to do all the simple gravity loads for years. The creator is an architect in my area and I went to his office to get it. Nice guy and bright. It is a great program for doing the basics. Anything more complicated I just hire a Structural engineer.

I find that it is a great design tool though to see if I'm going to have a problem that may require more engineering.
    -=JT=-

What do you mean by "with residential structural calcs examples all worked out?"
    Do you mean formulas with numbers in them showing the load values?
    If you don't understand how to things work then go to BeamChek.com and go to the user resource page and download the beginners manual, in pdf format. Read it and it will show you how to figure loads areas.
    I found it to be very helpful to understand the load and how they add up on the way to the foundation.
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

Western Wood Products Association (WWPA) puts out a serious engineering manual. But, they also have a FREE sawn lumber beam, joist and column calculator that is available for download from WWPA.ORG. It is very easy and intuitive, and handles most residential situations. This and Boise-Cascade's Engineered Lumber software handle 95 percent of my situations, and they're both free.

Another manual that's full of span tables, diagrams, etc., is the Wood Frame Construction Manual from the American Forest and Paper Assoc. I got mine through WABO, the Washington (Washington State, that is) Association of Building Officials. In other words, it's one the building dept. uses. I'd be curious if anyone else uses this one and their opinion of it.

There's a fine line between too much engineering and too many tables in all these books, and I wish one of them understood that there are snow loads in the world > 70 psf. Most tables don't work in my neck of the woods.
    Desert Dog Designs
    Twisp, WA
    jlaskey@methow.com

AF&PA's Wood Frame Construction Manual is the design manual referenced in the IRC (Chapter 3), and therefore forms the basis of the structural sections of the code that deal with wood framing. It is essential for custom (non-prescriptive) design.

Most plans examiners in Western states will use the WWPA calculator for quick and dirty calculations, and some old-timers still use WWPA's "Span Computer" slide rule calculator-- which is sometimes the faster method for sizing simple beams. The complete Western Woods Use Book, also published by WWPA, contains loads of formulae for sizing wood members, as well as many pages of tabular data for simplified design. This book, along with Ambrose's Simplified Engineering for Architects and Builders should be in any serious designer's library.

Stru-Calc is the standard for more complex design and review work, but Beam Check is a very capable program, and well worth it's price.
    Warren Hirsch

Thank you, Mr. Hirsch. What a nice summary you have given. Throw in the BCI software, and the IRC/VIAQC/WSEC here in Washington State and you've got a great basic library.

Now you've got me wondering where I've put my tattered old WWPA sliderule. Used to carry it everywhere.
    Desert Dog Designs
    Twisp, WA
    jlaskey@methow.com

so wendy , which one did you get , the full kit or just the beam check?

This thread is SO timely! I was just wondering about these structural calc softwares.

I was trying to do some simple calcs on a simple house but realized I was definitely over my head. (After some helpful guidance from a resident curmudgeon) .

So I told the builder I don't do structural calcs on stick framing. Then he FREAKED out and started complaining about stuff he was completely happy with a couple days ago. Then he wanted me to put down in writing everything that might go wrong with his project!

I told him I'm not his project manager or an engineer and don't get paid nearly enough to do those services for him and he calmed down. Needless to say his project suddenly moved to the bottom of the pile. Being a PITA does not get your work done faster.

Because I am not licensed I can't get liability insurance nor do I charge as if I was licensed - so as much as I would like to learn how to size beams and footings - I am thinking I might be better off never touching that can of worms. Whaddya think?

- Rachel

Originally posted by Yeksaldj
    Another manual that's full of span tables, diagrams, etc., is the Wood Frame Construction Manual from the American Forest and Paper Assoc. I got mine through WABO, the Washington (Washington State, that is) Association of Building Officials. In other words, it's one the building dept. uses. I'd be curious if anyone else uses this one and their opinion of it.
    I use it all the time. I also find the companion commentary volume to be incredibly useful. The WFCM is the document that the 2003 code tables are based on - it is referenced in the 2003 IRC and IBC as an acceptable alternative design basis.

Fitch

Structural References

Thanks everyone for all the information on the structural references. I have quite a few things to look into now.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thanks for those links Tim, We can always count on you to educate as well as entertain. 90% of what we do sometimes is knowing where to find the information. I also got your link on how to do those wild windows. ... Do you offer classes?
    -=JT=-

others

Some other possibilites may be: Trus Joist, Louisiana Pacific, Georgia Pacific (Blue Linx), International Paper, Anthony Forest Products and if you are in the southeast using southern yellow pine there is the Southern Pine Council.

Richard J. Medicus
    My Home Designer
    P.O. Box 569
    Summerdale, AL 36580
    251-979-1116

I just received my package from ConstructionCalc. I haven't loaded them yet, but had a chance to glance through a book that comes with it, called "Basic Structural Concepts (for the non-engineer)" by Tim K. Garrison, PE. At first glance it looks to be a very well written book. It outlines the core principles behind structural design in a concise and easy to read format. As a matter of fact, it has some very good information about the legal side of things. Ill let ya'll know how the software is, but this book looks to be a definate keeper.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,
    I would be interested in your assesment of the software and I'm sure others would also. Please keep us informed if you don't mind.
    Thanks you are always so helpful.
    Bill
    Bill WJW Drafting

V-X3
    Windows 7
    Quad core Mac pro

Bill and friends,

Well, I've reviews both ConstructionCalc (purchased) and StruCalc (demo, not 100% functional).

ConstructionCalc does not have all the LVL's I need. It only has 2.0 glulams. Not good. However, I think the loads calculator module, available separately, may be worth buying ($54 as a download) for those of you who have some trouble with that. Another problem for me is that this software is written entirely as very sophisticated Excel Spreadsheets with unsigned macros. That means I had to downgrade my Excel Security settings from High to Medium. I don't like that at all. This alone would make me return it.

StruCalc is a little less user friendly interface, but appears to be much more complete than either ConstructionCalc or Beamcheck. I've never liked it that Beamcheck makes you enter the values for LVLs yourself. StruCalc appears to have more choices, and has all the data already included. Beamcheck also only sizes beams, not footings, posts, etc. StruCalc has modules for columns (including lateral loads) and footings. They also divide beams into several categories, where beamcheck just has one. Both will account for all the criteria, but I think the way StruCalc does it makes it a little clearer.

Wendy