Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: beam chek

beam chek

I was wondering if anyone out there uses a program called beam chek size beams and headers in the houses they design? I am looking in to buying this product but I am looking for some feedback about this program before I buy. Is this program easy to use and is it fairly accurate in what it sizes for the span and load that you define?
    David Meiring
    Dallis Homes, LLC

David:

I use it all the time, and it is GREAT! Very easy to use, and gives good results (and nice printouts) if you put in the correct data. I believe it has a demo to try out, in any case.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

I have the demo and have tried to use it but it limits you on the span that you can use and I am having a hard time trying to figure out the correct load to enter.
    David Meiring
    Dallis Homes, LLC

Boise Cascade has a program called bc calc. they will ship you a free cd upon request via. the internet. It only use engineered lumber products for the calcs. and will not engineer natural lumbersuch as pine, fir, or spruce.

I've been using BeamChek for many years. Great program, user friendly and the info it puts out is as accurate as the info you put in.
    I took a class in Engineering for Architects and Builders that taught me the basics - by hand and calculator. It really helped my understanding of what the numbers mean.
    Boise Cascade is a good program too.
    I end up using both of them.
    Good Luck
    Barb

If you need a little more structural engineering power, but don't want to pay a forture try:
    StrucCalc

StruCalc 6.0 has an intuitive windows interface combined with the power to design multiple span members using steel, wood, flitch beams or manufactured lumber. Free demo, downloadable pdf manual and tutorial are available.
    Don

CA Premium X6 (16.1.1.9x64) SSA
    Intel i7-4770 (8M Cache) @ 3.4GHz; Windows 8.1 - 64 Bit; 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670;
    Dual HD Monitors (24" and 22");
    Primary Hard Drive: 256GB SSD.

thorn is offline Registered User Promoted
    Hard to beat for the price. StrucCalc is very good also. I often compare the results of the two out of curiosity to see if they match. They always do.

Beam check is a good investment. I use it a lot
    I have not tried StucCalc.
    but I tried a like program that had alist price of over 600
    and absolutly no better

I also use StruCalc and have for a few years. I like the way you can change joist or beam sizes on the fly to decide which way to go.
    I remember trying BeamCheck, but decided it was missing a few things I wanted, such as footing sizes.

Good advice above about taking a seminar or class; just because you buy one of these programs doesn't make the choices automatically for you, you still have to know what to put where. I've used Strucalc to follow down the load path from a walk-up attic all the way down to the lvl beams in the basement and been very confident in the results.

Just be cautious when you use these programs to get the proper result!
    Take Care

Jim

Beamcheck has no facility for sizing footings, and it looks like StrucCalc does. I'm also checking out http://www.constructioncalc.com/ - has anybody tried this? Has anybody tried their wood beam cross referencer?

Wendy

If you're looking for a program that will size footings (and posts) along with the beams, take a look at MaxBeam at www.archforms.com This also has the advantage of doing a slew of beams in one set of calcs.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

I also use Beam Check and BC Calc and have done so for years but I also studied up on structural design so I could understand how loads are determined. Be safe get some engineering study and back it up with the programs....the math is not difficult and you can sleep good at night. A book to get a start ......BASIC LUMBER ENGINEERING FOR BUILDERS Craftman Book Co.
    Bill WJW Drafting

V-X3
    Windows 7
    Quad core Mac pro

Bill is correct. A friend of mine, (who went to architecture school and should know better, by the way!) was sizing her own beams. The local building inspector made her get the drawings signed and sealed, which sent her to me. I won't sign and seal a ham sandwich without reviewing it, which lead me to check her beam calcs. She had not accounted for all the loads on one beam, and the miscalculation was serious enough that it changed it from (3) 2x12's to a hunk of steel - and this was for her own house! This beam would not have just deflected, it would have failed.

There was another section of shed roof that was 3:12 and formed a pocket beneath a 10:12 metal roof, with no snow guards. The top of the lower shed roof is supported on a 16 foot long beam, not a bearing wall. I called my structural engineer to size this one (can't remember how to calculate pocket snow loads) - sure enough, he came up with half again as big a beam as my software would have given me with straight snow loads. It's all built now, and she says that this winter the snow would come crashing down off the higher roof with such a thud that the house shakes, but her plaster not cracking...

Structural design is a beast to be respected.

Wendy

FYI

Check this out

http://www.nwbuildnet.com/stores/ss/concalc/index.html

I checked out the StruCalc software demo. It looks very complete, certainly much more complete than beamcheck. I've just ordered this one instead, however, because of what looks to me to be a much better and clearer interface (I need all the help I can get when I'm tired!) - and for the loads calculator.

W

Structural References

Does anyone else have a "great" reference book they would recommend with residential structural calcs examples all worked out? Thanks
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard