10 Glass House View

I have been reviewing the details of Version 10 using the Demo disc.

In the accompanying brochure, there is a 3D photo showing only a portion of the structure as a glass addition and is entitled "Remodeling"

Does anyone know how this was done? Would work great for remodeling jobs.

Thanks for your help.

Paul
    Paul K. Traylor (Design Engineer )

WoodArt Design and Drafting Service
    "Great Homes Come From Great Designs"

pktraylor65@gmail.com
    North Fort Myers, Florida

I know this question has been asked before. But I can't remember if a solution to it was given. Try a search on this.

Dave

Here is the thread but the question wasn't answered.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/chieft...ght=remodeling
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Paul,

If there is a new function to do this in V10 that would stream-line the process, I have not seen it discussed. I have yet to purchase or review v10, but in v9.54 I would:

1. set up my desired camera view, ray-trace or render it, (possibly with a desired backdrop in Chief at this point)
    2. save that image as a bitmap, jpeg or png file,
    3. then leave the camera in exactly the same place and set it to glass house, adjust transparency and brightness,
    4. render and save that image as a bitmap jpeg or png,
    5. open both images in my image editor, (photo shop or paint shop pro) and cut and paste the portion of the glass house image onto the ray-traced or rendered image, save this composite image and cut and paste it onto a background blueprint photo or landscape photo if you did not do it in step 1.

Depending on your skill with the image editing tools, there are some blending tools generally available, you can get your compostite image cleaned up nicely if the cut and paste is unsatisfactory. With the image editiors there are usually several ways (tools) to do the cut and paste.

ALWAYs work with copies of your first two renders when building the composite so in case you don't like it, you can begin again without having to do the camera set up and rendering in Chief a second time. If you are working with a final background image, try to visualize how the initial renderings of your Chief model will best be displayed in the final composite image when setting your initial camera position.

I hope this is not more than you really wanted to know.

Don
    Don's Drafting Depot
    "3-D Working for You"

Release 4.0 thru 10.0 full
    Currently X4 Premium
    Acer AM5100 upgraded
    4GB and 256MB Nvidia

Precision 6600, 8MB 1600mhz
    Nvidia Quadro M3000 2GB DDR5
    17.3" FHD LED

Epson Photo R2000

"The trouble with deregulated free market capitalism is that the profits are privatized and we taxpayers, "socialize," the losses." ($16T and rising)

The "New" feature list released by ART mentions additional
    display options for remodelers and ability to "create a remodeling wall type" that can be placed on its own layer.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/PDFs/C...ature-List.pdf

I'm wondering if there is a way to set individual walls to "glass house" or something like it that can give the effect
    of two houses merged via photoshop ?
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew,

I haven't seen what you are talking about but I would guess that just creating a material with a translucent quality and applying it to the walls you want will give you the same effect. I'm still in 9.54 so that's as much as I can venture.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Thanks Dave, Lew and Don

I missed the February post but did go back and read it.

Don your procedure works but after I tried it and although it does a good job it does not match what ART has pictured. That is, if you look through the glass portion you can see the 3D model behind it. Using Photoshop does not allow this except when you adjust transparency and then the details of the glass house loose a lot.

I also, tried looking for a new wall definition but could not find one.

Well, ART, can you please respond to this post question?

Paul

pktraylor65@gmail.com

Dennis,

Thanks for your input here, I tend to think within the box with some thngs. When I have a bit of free time I will try your suggestion, v9.54, though I've never had a call to display any real work with a combination of fully built rendered model with a glass house type addition.

Lew,

Sorry I guess I missed that feature reading the list. The new layer abilities with V10 would seem to be the ticket for accomplishing the rendered effect being discussed here.

Don
    Don's Drafting Depot
    "3-D Working for You"

Release 4.0 thru 10.0 full
    Currently X4 Premium
    Acer AM5100 upgraded
    4GB and 256MB Nvidia

Precision 6600, 8MB 1600mhz
    Nvidia Quadro M3000 2GB DDR5
    17.3" FHD LED

Epson Photo R2000

"The trouble with deregulated free market capitalism is that the profits are privatized and we taxpayers, "socialize," the losses." ($16T and rising)

jpb is offline Registered User Promoted
    I initiated the first thread regarding this issue. Although ART didn't respond to the query, I did get an answer to it while speaking to a support rep the other day. He said (the image in question) was most likely 'artwork' since you can't have two different camera views within the same <camera> window simultaneously.

The only way to achieve the glass house or translucent effect is through the glass camera. You can't assign a wall type as 'glass house'; the wall type surfaces available are opaque.

As far as the feature list bullet "New display options for remodelers: create a “remodeling wall” wall type and place it on its own layer", what they're most likely referring to is as follows: Given the new layering paradigm, you can create a new wall type, e.g., a 'remodeler's wall type' and then assign it to a unique layer name. With existing walls on the default layer and the 'new' walls on a different layer--you can then turn the new (or old) walls on or off depending upon your needs.

Hello jpb

I hear you but I would be very disappointed to find that such an advertised capability required another program outside of Chief to accomplish. It seems that if this were a headliner as depicted in the written brochure advertising a new version, then that new version would include the capability!

I still hope ART will respond to this question and clarify the answer.

Paul

pktraylor65@gmail.com