brace panel info help

I have a simple plan that the building department said I need to spec the brace panel locations and detail, or take to an engineer.

So I spec it no engineering, which saves money for me and client
    so I said great, where do I get that info
    he said in the uniform code book
    I cant find it
    does anyone know hwere the brace panel info is , or a source for telling me what the brace panel spec for locations of panels is

thanks

Being curious I did some research as I didn't know what a brace panel was.

I found this info on Fairfax county's permit site, which gives
    IRC code references and other info.
    http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/dpwes/na...ind_faqs.htm#1

The Fairfax site also lead to this site that has more info about vendor products that are acceptable to Fairfax county.
    http://www.icc-es.org/reports/index....p=list_csi_rep

Maybe your county has similiar recommendations ?

I tried finding an online source for the IRC and IBC but there doesn't seem to be much for free. Plenty of sites on buying the code or sections of it. You may be able to go to a bookstore like Borders and look them over first before buying and maybe even the library might have them ?

Chief does have the IRC checklist under the tools menu but this is just a reminder of things to be aware of and probably doesn't get into the detail that you need.

HTH
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Braced panels

Assuming that you are designing for Oregon, you need to refer to the 2003 Oregon Dwelling Specialty Code, which is an adaptation of the 2000 IRC. The section that addresses braced wall lines is in Chapter 6.

Also, pay a visit to the Oregon Building Codes Division website, and take a close look at the structural interpretations.
    http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/...alrulings.html

#97-1 is particularly relevant.
    Warren Hirsch

Warren
    Thank you
    excellent
    Im not at home now, and my code book is there, must have looked right past the conditions etc.

I guess wehre the question came up with the inspector is that we had 12' x 8' of glass within 2' of corner and the inspector was questioning how we were bracing it.
    The pdf of the oregon site is still down loading so maybe it will make reference too
    thank you very much !!!

That's a big piece of glass for a "simple" design. You may not be able to do this prescriptively, depending on wall height, wind and seismic classifications, and whether or not you have a story above or below.

While you are at the OBCD site, download Interpretive ruling #01-03 as well, and insert it into your code book!
    Warren Hirsch

Lorin...braced wall panels are a big thing in Calif. I realize you are probably not under our code requirements, but the info may help you. Out here, if you are not a licensed engineer you cannot use the term "shear panels" on your plans. Instead, because I don't always need an engineer, I have to use the term "braced wall panel." Our code (UBC) is pretty specific about where they are to be located, and what they are. We also have "alternate braced wall panels" when situations arise.

Basically, you need to have a braced panel when your wall exceeds 25 ft. The panel has to be a minimum of 2'8" in width and not be higher than 10'. It consists of 2 holddowns, and 2 -5/8" anchor bolts, faced with a minimum 3/8ths OSB or plywood panel. They like to have them placed at the end of a wall, but they can go elsewhere, just as long as it is somewhere in the wall.

They can be a real pain in the neck, but once you catch on to them, they're not so bad. If you would like me to send you the actual code pages, along with a small drawing the building dept puts out, I would be glad to. Email me at davesgrape@aol.com and I'll send them out.

Dave

Also take a look at the Simpson StrongTie website. They sell some prefabricated braced wall panels that have code reports for CA, and the IBC and IRC. They come in two varieties - those made of wood and lots of tie straps, and some that are welded up using steel tubing. The prefabricated wood/engineered lumber ones with strapping are a lot stronger than the simple 7/16" OSB sheathed panels. The steel tubing variety can carry a lot more load than the other two in a short section of wall.

Also, as a general reference, the Wood Frame Construction Manual and the accompanying commentary, which is the document that is behind most of the prescriptive wood framing requirements in the IBC/IRC/ UBC, is very handy to have.

Fitch

motherlode

actually we do have to build to near your standards. up here the wind and eq standards went up quite a bit, to almost your standards. But we have to build to Seismic "D" ,winds of 110 and wind uplift from 25-40 lbs, floor deflection of L360.( we build to L480 or better)