Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    One thing to consider when doing winders is that code requires a 6" Min. tread on the inside radius. Look at the walk line tool and learn how to use it to control tread width.

Here is one for you Louis: 2 Exterior decks, 5'-0" apart, and a 35" level difference. Have a basement under the taller one. See attached image. There were issues with making the platforms connect with the stairs. What's the best resolution of this issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Larez

What problems were you having?

Here are two decks 5' apart with a 35" rise between them and they connect fine.

I have tried both of these repeatedly, checking the winder boxes, making sure my stain needed the extra steps to reach the next floor. L shaped and U shaped -- no winders. The walk line does not appear on the landing either.

I am using 10.1a

Winders don't reach the next floor they find the walls. A stair with winders will reach the next floor before any winder funtion is used. The stair is completly set up before any winder function is used.

How many stair sections are you using in your winder stair?

laiho is offline Registered User Promoted
    G'day folks!

Originally posted by louis
    One thing to consider when doing winders is that code requires a 6" Min. tread on the inside radius......
    Hoorah! I think I finally got winders..... Knowing about the 6" min does help. Are the raillings on the winders meant to be diagonal?

When I couldn't get 2 winders to generate properly, I was using the metric template. 4 winders work OK in metric, but not two. My successful attempt was using the "imperial" template. When I manually converted the inches and plugged the measurements into my failed metric stairs, the 2 winders still do not generate properly.

For my 4 winders to work, I have to form a room using invisible walls. The "room" walls were moved closer together until clicking on the cross for moving the stair case extended the treads to the "walls".

Thanks everyone for your responses.

LHS

I can't gey any winders at all, can you run through steps you went through.
    David P.
    From Broderbund to x5

Nice to know I'm not the only one who is befuddled.

I will experiment with the winder setting and see what happens.

Originally posted by louis
    What problems were you having?
    The problem was that the staircase would not connect... It kept lookin to go to the second Floor of the house, instead of the deck floor which was what I was trying to connect to. The only way I got it to work was by going downwards and not upwards. Even that took some time to work.. I think I had to define a room around it as well.
    Larez

Were you getting some bleeding of room definitions? Are you sure your deck definitions were working right?

Larez make a copy of that plan and delete the basement or foundation and see if you have the same connection problems.
    Last edited by louis; 03-05-2005 at 05:05 PM.

Stepped Landing Instructions Step by Step

Hi dparsley and quickdraw

Originally posted by quickdraw
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who is befuddled...

Join the club! Here are my instructions - don't forget, I am learning the stuff as I go...

Step 1
    Drag out the stair sections you need

Step 2
    Move them close and click to connect

Step 3
    Draw a room with invisible walls around the stair case. Open the stairs specification dialogue and click on subsections checkbox to show all stair sections. Click on winders checkbox.

Step 4
    The winders should look like these. Otherwise, shrink the room or click on the stairs and use the cross to move the stairs around to get the winders to extend to the wall.

Step 5
    In the stairs specification dialogue, adjust to the number of treads you need, and 2 for the winder section. Change tread widths to 12" for the straight sections and 24 for the winder section.

Step 6
    If needed, adjust the stairs by bringing up the cross and moving the stairs to get the winders to extend correctly.

The "stepped landing" should be working now.... . I have attached pictorial instructions in 2 parts if my American english is not up to par

P.S. The unusual diagonal railing (shown in my earlier post) disappears when the invisible walls are converted to real walls. The walk line check box for adjusting the tread widths is found under the "style" tab in the stairs specifcation dialogue. The "Gingerbread" house sample plan is great for converting to stepped landing using the winders method.

LHS
    Last edited by laiho; 03-06-2005 at 05:20 AM.

Stepped Landing Instructions Step by Step Part 2

Part 2 Pictorial instructions...

Thanks laiho
    I will give that a try, you don't creat 3 sections do you? or just click between to creat plat form?
    David P.
    From Broderbund to x5

Here is a tutorial showing how to do a corner winder.
    Corner Winder