Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    It's real. I asked the same thing. It could have been a good rendering. Doesn't look like a place to have a homey dinner does it.

I have a scoop for you. Calilornia didn't screen those whose decided to emigrate to Oregon, Colorado or Idaho so as just to send you the best behaved and most gracious people. You get all kinds and like in most areas the obnoxious, selfish people make the most noise.

Some of those who moved there did so because they couldn't cut it here and when they find they aren't happy in Oregon either, they make you miserable. Send 'em back if you want. We have enough spoiled, selfish, miserable people here we won't even notice. Believe it or not, we also have some real nice people here to, but they tend to make the best of it wherever they are. They don't make the news or throw tantrums in your DMV.

But, I was thinking, what if we could have sent all of our lawyerrs up there to live with the Bagwan ....

Thank you!

September 17, 2005

It is very interesting in reading your comments. I am happy that our web site is up again. There, we showed certain our recent works including water color. Quality is always our first concern. We are good guys AND we use ArchiCAD nicely, so don’t shoot us!

Yours

Bob Yang
    CEO
    Splendo Net Studio
    www.china-out-sourcing.com
    Email: ceo@china-out-sourcing.com

Bob:

Competition is always a good thing. Keeps everyone on their toes. Mcdonalds has competion from Wendys and Hardees and .... Yet, they still sell a lot of burgers.

If you provide a service that meets the needs of the client and the price is reasonable the clients will use you, if not they will shop elsewhere.

If clients find they can get better/cheaper service overseas they will do it, but I think most want to use someone local that can "drop on by" the site as needed.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Yeah even if I can't go by the job site my clients still like being just a phone call away.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

Originally posted by lbuttery
    If you provide a service that meets the needs of the client and the price is reasonable the clients will use you, if not they will shop elsewhere.
    There are no doubt situations where offshore home design works, and it may work better on high end houses than starter houses or every day 2,000 ft^2 custom houses on rural lots. I haven't done a raytrace yet, not one. I only did render views of my house for Nedra - but not any of the other houses.

I've had clients sit with me and look at views of the inside of their house-to-be, and I've printed some exported jpgs of the inside of their houses, also saved them and e-mailed them, but I haven't done render views. The vector views work. I've had them request that I print a Vu-to-CAD print of a vector view so they could color it with crayons, or tape paint chips to it. My client base, such as it is, isn't populated with computer people - most have one but only use it for shopping on line, and an occasional e-mail.

OTOH the people (including my Nephew the builder) that I've drawn houses for really appreciate being able to meet with me in person, and the fact that I drop by their house when its under construction to see how it's going and answer questions. I do that because I like to follow through and see the drawings come to reality. I used to do that, visit the shop, when my engineering projects were being built.

They also like the fact that I'll print them some 11x17 (not to scale) copies of their prints to have in their car/truck, and the same for each of the subs working on the house.

I have a backlog of design jobs waiting for me to get moved into the new house this coming Thursday, 5 houses, large detached garage, and a VET clinic. My opportunities all come by word of mouth. I don't advertise at all. As long as it s fun, I'll keep doing it.

I'm looking forward to the VET clinic - its for an equine practice - I have 3 horses of my own, been around horses like forever, can't remember when I didn't know how to ride. I've spent a lot of time in VET clinics as well, including the one at Alamo Pintado on the outskirts of Solvang, CA. That one is just plain awesome.

The VETs go to seminars on clinic design put on by other VETs - they pretty much know what they want - this husband wife team (both are VETs) had a pencil floor plan they showed me - and liked it when in about a minute I had 4 simple changes that would make it a "lot" better in terms of dealing with horses.

Its going in an industrial park in South Middleton - the most stringent TWP around here. The clients have retained the engineer that did the park design to be the engineer of record on the building. He will do the plot plan and the structural analysis.

Works for me.

Fitch

drop on by

Dear lbuttery

Thank you so much for your comment. I think an oversea rendering company can handle that situation ("drop on by"). We actually did that from our experience.

We have a major rendering company in US as our associate. Upon they present their elevations to their clients, there have been always some changes have to be made, and we made all the changes for them, because we are very fast. For any changes we charge them free.

Bob
    ceo@china-out-sourcing.com

Bob
    Is that really your name
    or kind of like the dell computer guys that call from india and say there name is Steve
    Ill pay the bill and Ill ask, hey whats really your name, and they will say ahhhhh Steve

I know that sounds disrespectful, to question your first name listed
    but to me it is more disrepectul not to say hello to a person by the name they want ot be know as in real heart or the name given to them by their parents
    I only wish that people would callme by my name, but it is not politially correct ( Niuoka Okyaiu Liddell)

and Bob
    if that is your name. I bow my head and I humbaly apologize
    what you offer is on the wave of the future, for us small guys,and in corporate america, on the crest even leading to the back swell

and best of luck to you

I hope you treat your people equally as well as others overseas treat you

so now that thats past, my late sunday political rambling

its down to biz

do you know an outsource engineering firm, that has stamps for all the states in USA

see. Im just as cheap as Dell, Chevy, IBM, Nike
    I guess Im becoming a bussinessman
    hows that for opening a can of worms

and some of you are sitting there and saying , you flippin asphole

Joshua Brune Niuoka Okyaiu Liddell
    Last edited by Niuoka; 09-18-2005 at 12:16 PM.

Dear Niuoka,

My real name is Bob Yang or you can call me Dr. Bob Yang.

I know lot of outsourcing engineering companies in China but I am not sure they can do business in USA. But I will ask them for you. If I have the news I will post here to let you know.

Thanks!

Bob

Niuoka:

I think that you will find that in some states it is illegal for an Architect to stamp documents that were created under their supervision. In other states it is ok for them to stamp if they have reviewed them.

I know a builder in MD who does the section details for CD's and then pays an S.E. to review/stamp for $100. If the S.E. spots a problem then he suggests a change and then charges more to review the changes.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

I have been told that I'm wasting my time by talking to a structural engineer that is not licensed in Texas (I'm in Houston). I have been told also that I can't have a civil engineer sign off on structural (residential) either. I've had clients that were structural engineers in other states and they told me the same. They can not sign off on anything here because they're not licensed for Texas. There must be some truth to that.

I have a client who had a garage rebuilt from foundation on up. She has a sister who is an architect in New York. she consulted her but used a local architect with an in-house engineer to do her plans. Because her sister didn't supply the plans, I'm assuming she couldn't. I will ask about this for I'm about to do more work for her.

Tommy

Yes, Architect's and S.E's can only stamp work for the states that they are licensed for.

I know a builder who is licensed only for DC even tho MD and VA markets are right next door and within a 20 mile radius.

I know another builder who is licensed only for VA and another who is licensed for all 3 jurisdictions.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Okay. So why the outsourcing for engineers to sign in all states? I don't think that can be done in Texas anyway.

Tommy

I'm going to bring this thread back to its original discussion. I'm now doing modeling for one of the first members of our local AIBD chapter. He draws by hand. So even AIBD designers value Chief's modeling capabilities.

Good point Louis. I haven't read all of the posts on this thread but by just glancing, it looks like the topic changed at least 3 times from as far as I read. I was looking at a few posts to see how it got to this topic about engineers for I saw you were replying and I was waiting....didn't get that far to see where the engineering thing came to play.

Tommy

I do work for a high-end custom design/remodel/construction company. The owner wants to focus on his creative design ideas rather than learn a complex piece of software. So I make his ideas look good with Chief.

Just yesterday my pastor asked me about a 3D model of a brand new church building he wants to build. That'll be cool if I get that job.

This is a theme in my business. Somebody wants the benefits of Chief but their time is better spent making business deals, managing, thinking up design ideas, ministry, etc. so they pay me to use the computer to make their inner vision visbile to the world.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio