Threaded View

In California there is another big issue to be considered. The city requirements. They are all different and create all sorts of over coverage formulas, sometimes a design review process, all of which must be researched by someone who has to take the responsibility. In many cases on remodels it could take more time, and $2.25 gas just to deal with the city than it does to do the design work. Someone who gets 2% for drafting doesn't have to deal with this, and I assure you it is the least enjoyable part of the the business.

And here the plans will always require corrections. I am certain that if I submitted a new plan for a house next door to one which was already approved and submitted the identiical corrected plan there will be corrections. Even on the same job if the corrections are reviewed by another plan checker he will add things and you can do nothing about it. These people all have their own personal preferences, as well as personal interpretations of the code.

Some areas of the country, like Florida, are very easy in comparison, so I submit to you that the price per foot on drafting is just like a homeowner saying what does it cost per foot to do a remodel. What is in the foot? If it includes a Viking range and hood it is about $1600 per foot.

In pricing it is important to always consider the value added. That will vary greatly. Tim further supported my point saying the DC designer did work for several contractors. I will bet you anything that he is doing most of the sales work in the client meeting and they probably use him for that reason. Actually, if a contractor could sub out his sales and design work that would be the smartest thing that most could do for that is the greatest weakness of contractors. Yet, I have also spoken with contractors who resented the money the salesman made. It really helps when the salesman does the design because the fee is bundled all together, but the DC guys 6% is a 2-3% drafting charge, a 2-3% sales commission and perhaps a 1% city plan shepherding fee all together.

Anyone who can make deals happen is worth easily 2 - 4% right there, plus the design work.