Hybrid View

I want to have reasonable rates. Believe me I'd love to raise them but I have a few things in mind.

1. If the economy turns back down in the housing market I want to stay in business. I don't want to ever have to set foot in a semiconductor factory ever again. Ever. Or have to work in the dead of night again. Ever.
    2. Since I can't drive, I can't do the part of the custom design process where I'd normally visit the site.
    3. I want to be able to keep enough work coming in consitently that I can make my bills.
    4. My house will be paid for by the time I start. Also since I can't drive I have no car payment or insurance. That's the major support for the low rate: very low overhead. When I do start full-time I will have to raise rates to account for broadband internet and long-distance, tax preparation/accounting, and possibly some kind of liability insurance.
    5. I don't yet do plans for permits or stock. I just don't have the experience. I can do the 3D and floor plans and can be darn productive but I'm weak in the 2D. To start out with, I'll probably offer plan conversion from ACAD to Chief to get a feel for plans.

Also, I'm not sure what a good reasonable rate is for what I do, since I don't "do it all." I know others charge more but they're also able to offer a greater range of services. I'm pretty sure I can get $20/hr but what I'd really like is $25-$30. Ideally I'd like to be about the same as the total employee cost of a draftsman, since most of my work is as a subcontractor for the builder or architect. How much would they be willing to pay? I have no idea, except if I can make it as cheap as I can.

I do plan on about 1/4 of my time being non-design hours. That's a good time to produce advertising, sales, etc.

I can see raising rates might have one more benefit you didn't mention (provided it doesn't scare away work I want): scaring off clients with projects I don't want. I once laid out a floor plan for an architectural monstrosity someone was building back east. He had a ~10,000 sq.ft. design but wanted to reduce the costs so he asked me to shrink it (normally one of my specialties). I told him I'd never done a concrete house. That didn't faze him. I said I'd never done anything that large. He was still there. I told him the absolute truth about why he couldnb't have everything in his design and get the square footage down to what he wanted. I told him if he wanted everything he should go with the original design he had. I was pain in the butt! Still, he kept coming back! Although I didn't do engineering, details, or any plans at all except a floor plan, he paid less than $500 for a layout for an 8000+ square foot house. Definately I should have charged at least twice as much as normal for that one. The client likes the design, even though I think the thing is ridiculous.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio