Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 is out

Louis,

Thanks for letting us know about V10. Just got off the phone with Debbie on ordering mine. CAN'T WAIT!

Tommy

"Does the Roof Designer and Kitchen Designer from V9 work in 10? I would think so if 10 can import v9 plans? I never opened the Roof Designer CDs I have; just never got to it!"

Unfortunately, the Roof Designer Toolkit and Kitchen Designer Toolkit do not work with V10. The library objects are fully compatible, but the libraries we installed actually replaced the normal ones that came with Chief. This method of installing the libraries will not work with the new libraries in V10.

We have 2 new products which contain just the libraries from the toolkits (not the training videos or workbooks) that are now available for purchase. If you legally own the either of the V9.5 toolkits, we will give you the corresponding new V10 libraries so that you can continue to use them. We will probably come out with updated and new toolkit products sometime in the future that will have even more new libraries and new videos but those are still in the works.

"Can V10 save plans in older formats also, at least back to v9.5?"

No. You can only read in older formats (back to V5) but you can't write out older formats.

"Is the current price a new intro offering, and will it go up in a few weeks, I really need to wait a few weeks if I can."

Current pricing is not a special intro pricing so I don't believe it will be going up any time soon. I am not responsible for determining pricing so I can't give you any guarantees. I don't know of any time that we ever raised the price of an upgrade. I do know that we have had upgrade specials but I have been told not to expect any of these for quite some time. We do often have trade show specials so if you happen to see us at a show, you might be able to get some kind of deal.

If you have more specific questions about pricing , I would suggest that you call our sales department and talk to someone that can help you better then I can.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Ordered mine today, starts shipping in about 1 weeks time apparently. Its always pretty exciting when the Fed Ex man shows up with the new box!

I tried the demo...

and the schedule and labeling still does not work with blocked doors. But the auto dormer tool is cool and especially the spell check.

I would also like to note that while I like the added symbol content of the roof and kitchen toolkits, their combined $190 on top of the yearly $395 for the upgrade is $585, too much for me to do year after year. Perhaps I'd be more convinced to buy one of them if they explained the difference between version 9's symbol toolkits and version 10's.

It seems likely, though, that the version 9 toolkit symbols will work in version 10, and that new symbols and arch blocks will be easier to make in version 10.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

Jason,
    When I purchased my upgrade, the salesman told me that my roof toolkit will be upgraded as well.
    He did not mention any extra charge.

I'll have to call and ask, since I have both kits for version 9.

I had a couple ideas for new toolkits, a rendering toolkit and a stairs toolkit. New toolkits are definately worth getting if they upgrade along with your Chief.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

I have to ask this one. Has the cabinet molding problem been fixed with version 10? ie when you have wall cabinets of different depths the crown molding does not always follow the the outer line of the cabinet top edge. When you have a 45 degree cabinet next to another wall cabinet, the molding does a strange overlap.

heres what I mean:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by Dermot Dempsey
    "Can V10 save plans in older formats also, at least back to v9.5?"

No. You can only read in older formats (back to V5) but you can't write out older formats.
    As a sub-contractor, this is horrible news! We are left with 2 choices: To upgrade, and inform the clients that they must also spend the money to upgrade to v10 in order to view/work with my files, OR to continue to use v.9x and not upgrade.

Most leading software companies know this and keep ties to older versions. If you use AutoCAD 2005, or Adobe Illustrator CS... you can still save back to early 90's era versions.

Hi Joe -

There are technical limitations that make it difficult for us to be backwards compatible. For example, what if you create a curved roof in v10 - how would that work in v9.5? Or automatic dormers? Because we've added so many new features, it has been infeasible for us to do backwards compatibility.

Note that 9.5 and v10 can run on the same computer.
    JP

Originally posted by John Pallett
    Hi Joe -

There are technical limitations that make it difficult for us to be backwards compatible. For example, what if you create a curved roof in v10 - how would that work in v9.5? Or automatic dormers? Because we've added so many new features, it has been infeasible for us to do backwards compatibility.

Note that 9.5 and v10 can run on the same computer.
    I realize this, and thank you for replying!

I haven't dealt with CA much at all, but I see a curved roof no more than a polyline with given values, and a curved roof would be polylines with arc information (delta angle, radius, etc). I would think that maybe the arc info could transform over to older versions, or even as a non-editable entity, so that maybe you could not edit the curved roof plane, but you could at least edit other polygon type planes while maintaining the curved roof.

I figured the auto dormer would be the easiest to make compatible with dormers still able to be produced in v.9.X.

I am a Civil Draftsman/Mechanical Draftsman/Graphic Designer turned Architectural Draftsman, so I probably have a lot of "bad" habbits including software expectancy. I could see myself using V.10 side by side with v.9.5... but that would be a great hassle. I guess I will wait to hear reviews or maybe even try the demo on a few times before upgrading. If v.10 is more consistent than v.9.X, then it is probably already worth it.

UK Nigel,

You mean like this?

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Jason:

the upgrade sheet I have from my dealer says that if you have the ver 9 toolkits they are free with ver 10 upgrade.
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Hi David
    If you place an angle front cabinet next to a non-angle cabinet thats when the molding messes up! Side by side cabinets of different depths don't aways follow around with the molding either.