Thread: 1/2 Hip Roof

Hybrid View

1/2 Hip Roof

Further to my earlier question, Re: Hip Roof. I tried putting a 1/2 hip on a small Bung. and it worked fine. However, I'm working on a 2 Storey with a split gable roof(one side is 2' lower than the other, similar to a split level).I changed the wall to gable end, put in my start dimension( between baseline and ridge) did auto build roof and still no go.The only thing I did different was change floor elevations(because of the 2' diff. )I can't see that as creating the problem.Has anyone have any suggestions

Thanks
    RogerC

If you can get the proper roof to build on a 1 story, do that and then shift select all the roof sections, copy them and paste them to your 2 story model.
    Charlie

Roger:
    For some reason I skiped down to your earlier post about this issue so this is a copy of my response there. And now I know what you mean by split gable roof.

Have you tried a manual modification of the roof? With the join roof tool manual roofs are very easy to do. You just select each gable end and add a break point, then drag the point at the ridge back. Now add the hip section of roof set the height and join the roofs. Just remember if there is a reason to re-build roof sections to check "retain manually built and edited roof sections" in the dbx.

In my opinion the manual modification of the roof is much easier than trying to copy and relocate a roof from another plan. Since many of my plans get a little complex I use the manual roof method often. I may use the auto roof to buid the basic roof but after I modify the roof I just use the "buid fascia and gutter" check box and never rebuild roofs again.

Larry
    In your reply to this posting, I got the impression that you are able to do Hip Roof lines manually. If this is so, I would like to know how,as I have been trying to figure out how to do it for some time and could be a very useful tool to have at times when dealing with complicated roof Jobs
    Regards
    Stan Paul
    Kaikoura
    New Zealand

Stan, on a normal retangular shape house for example, with manual roof tool drag a roof section along each main layer of the 4 external walls, click to side of upslope after each roof section placement to tell program which way roof section is to fall. Now select roof plan top edge click join roof tool click oposite roof section top edge they will join to make ridge, select edge of roof section, join roof tool, the adjacent section edge they will join as hip roof, repeat at all corners, drag end hip sections up to make appex, done very easy. Old method when before join roof tool, which is still handy at times is select on roof top edge double click on side edge of oposite roof section, a point will appear on plan where they would meet, drag section to meet here, this method will tell you where all roof sections will meet depending on which 2 roof sections you select. at times join roof tool can not be used so this needs to be learned especially when you get to complicated roofs and have to do manual modfications, also don't forget the parallel tool when using manual tools.

------------------

Stan:

Had a meeting yesterday that lasted 5 hours and never got back on the net. Looks like you already got a very good reply. The only thing I would add is that the Reference Guide (Start at page 202) does a very good job of describing how to create and edit roof sections.

It's a good idea to open a plan to practice with. Start with something simple and work up to more complex modifications. One other suggestion is to open an "Full Overview" window, hit "Shift F6" to view both the plan view and the overview, and you can see the changes in the overview while you work on the plan.

I have posted a mock up of what this is all about.

It exposes a bug in the auto roof generator that is specific to Chief 6. Manual roof tools can edit the roof where the second pitch fuction failed. This is related to the split floor levels and it does not affect one floor models.
    http://www.mcn.net/~myt13b/ROGER.JPG

260Kb: try a model like this and see how much fun you have........

------------------
    Dean Johnson
    Laurel, Montana

Thanks Guys for your help. I've tried it and it works great. Like you say Maurice it's soooo easy to do, when you find out how.
    Cheers
    Stan Paul
    Kaikoura
    New Zealand